Valentine's Day Recap and Recipe: Strings of Flats

Well, in spite of having said he wasn't really big on Valentine's day, Mr. Scrimp came through for me, like I was sure he would.

This is our first-ever Valentine's Day together. Last year, we were engaged but in different states on Valentine's Day, and the year before that, we weren't even dating yet! Needless to say, this was a pretty memorable day.



We stayed home from church, slept in, and spent an hour in bed snuggling (which we almost never get to do--once the alarm goes off, even on weekends, there's always something to make us get up). Afterward, we went to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients we needed to make the traditional Valentine's Day breakfast that my family has eaten for as long as I can remember--strawberries in syrup, whipped cream, homemade hot chocolate, eggs, and heart-shaped pancakes. That's a ton of food, I know, but after all, Valentine's Day is actually the feast of St. Valentine.

Mr. Scrimp insisted that the eggs, which I was just going to scramble with a little mimolette, had to be "enhanced" with a special ingredient, which I let him do because it seemed unfair to insist that we just follow my family's tradition to the letter. So, with our organic, farm-raised eggs and expensive cheese, we had pan-fried Spam. Yep. So much for no processed foods.

We spent the rest of the day just hanging out together. We watched some movies on Netflix, snuggled some more, played with our cats, and then, when we'd finally recovered from our massive breakfast, we made homemade pierogi, using the pasta dough recipe that I posted a few weeks ago.

I fell asleep midway through a really interesting documentary that we found on Netflix, and we got to sleep in again this morning because we both had the day off for President's Day. What a weekend! I feel so privileged to be married to Mr. Scrimp, and so happy to have had this weekend off with him.

And now, because they are the most delicious pancakes in the world, I give you my dad's pancake recipe: strings of flats.

Ingredients (makes... a lot of silver dollar-sized pancakes. Yum.)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 cup flour

In a bowl, combine all ingredients. Stir well. Batter may still be a little lumpy but that's ok.

Heat up a frying pan, griddle, or skillet. Use about medium heat--these cook (read: burn) very quickly if you aren't careful, and if the pan is too hot it happens almost instantly.

Add a little butter to the pan, and pour batter in 1/8 cup increments into pan. When batter is full of bubbles, pancakes are ready to flip.


Do you have a Valentine's Day memory to share on your blog? Join the party!
MckLinky Blog Hop

2 comments:

  1. Has Mr. Scrimp ever told you WHY he actually likes SPAM and would want to include it in a family tradition thing? I remember his family serving it in eggs to us when our families went camping together. I think that was the first time I'd ever had it. Honestly, it's really not that bad in eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a delicious day all around! And I fully believe in moderating one's moderation and occasionally indulging in those items with unpronouncables in their ingredient lists.:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...