Hummus

Well, it's Monday. The weekend always ends too soon. We had a party over the weekend for the husband's birthday, so this week's recipe will be for the hummus that I made.

I have a lot of goals for my life. One of those goals is to stop eating processed food, if not completely, then at least no more than once or twice a week. Obviously, "processed food" is a pretty big catch-all term, so I check food labels and don't (as a rule) buy things that have ingredients I can't pronounce or find at the grocery store.

Eating this way often costs us a little extra, but not always. This hummus is a good example of when it isn't--grocery store hummus is unreasonably expensive, given how cheap and easy it is to make.

Hummus Recipe (makes approximately 1 1/2 cups)

Ingredients:
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1/4 cup tahini*
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • Garlic cloves to taste (guideline: 2-4 cloves)
  • Lemon juice to taste (guideline: juice from 1 lemon)
  • Salt to taste
  Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. Taste, and tweak seasonings to your preference. Voila! Delicious hummus in ten minutes or less. I keep it in a small pyrex bowl with a lid and it lasts for about 6 hours before it mysteriously disappears (longer if my husband isn't home).

Drizzle with olive oil before serving for an extra bit of tastiness.


*If you can't find or can't afford tahini, try substituting smooth peanut butter. There will be a slight peanut taste to the hummus, but it will still be delicious. Sometimes I even prefer it that way.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. I LOVE making hummus at home, though I generally use far less tahini than most recipes call for... I like my hummus low on tahini, and it also makes the can last longer!

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know what the approximate refrigerator life would be? I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess would be that you wouldn't want to keep it for more than a week or two, but I actually posted a half recipe, so you don't end up with a ton and it goes pretty quickly. I'd say it makes about 4-5 liberal servings.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...