Oak Park Hates Veggies

My post today is not about cooking, crafting, or sewing (although I've been up to all of those things lately!)

No. Instead, I'd like to tell you about a unique little blog I found. You see, the city of Oak Park, MI is prosecuting a woman there for growing organic vegetables in her front lawn. She claims that she isn't violating city code--they claim that she is, and that it is illegal for her to grow food on her own property where others can see it.

I encourage you to read her blog, do some research on your own, and draw your own conclusions. And if, as I hope, you draw the same conclusions that I did, I also encourage you to join me in contacting the city of Oak Park* to make sure they know that we find it unacceptable to punish a law-abiding citizen for making healthy choices on behalf of her family.

* in a polite and non-threatening way, of course!

1 comment:

  1. Last I had heard about this, they dropped the charges against her for the organic-veggie growing because of the media spotlight on her. Unfortunately, they then (on the same day they dropped those charges) charged her with having unlicensed animals, which carries the exact same penalty. She says her animals ARE licensed because she complied with a warning about it over a month ago. So that's where this is. It sounds to me like they're trying to punish her now for making them look bad about the organic vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...